Sunday, April 3, 2011

Painful Pigs and a Tender Tushy

I have spent much of the last two days working on our taxes.  It's true.  I decided, in light of all the craziness Ken has going on right now, that I would take on the annual duty this year.  Armed with TurboTax, I dove into the complicated mess of U.S. taxes.  I am, however, only half way done as we still have the Canadian end of our tax dilemma to complete.

Why on earth wouldn't we hire someone to do this?  Well, as life may have it (notice I did not say luck or fate - this was the result of a life choice we made), there are not too many people that are willing and able to do both U.S. and Canadian taxes.  Ken spoke to one person who kindly offered to do the job for a hefty $1200.  No thank you!  I figure if someone else can muddle through our "mud", then so can we...with the right tools and a bit of perseverance.

Oddly enough, other than a momentary headache, this has been a relatively painless process.  However, the two major breaks that I took from entering data, sorting through papers, searching for "you know...that one thing", and talking with friendly TurboTax man, did result in some pain.

Yesterday, my sweet sister Sue called me up and invited me and the kids for a bike ride.  I was hesitant as I was elbow deep into the taxes.  But, not wanting to miss an opportunity with my sister and her girls, I agreed to meet her at Cleary Lake Park.  It was a GORGEOUS day and I am so glad I took up her offer!!

Now, Ben, as one might imagine, is a fabulous biker.  He takes turns at breakneck speeds and fancies doing tricks when he can, especially if nobody or, alternatively, somebody special is looking.  Eliana, however, is not.  She is a true beginner despite a few times out on the bike last summer.  With training wheels fully engaged, she took off at a breakneck snail's pace!  Needless to say, she and I went at our own, somewhat painfully slow, rate.  Oh, did I mention, this was just over a THREE MILE RIDE?  Elly was determined, however, to make the whole loop without heading back from whence we came in order to shorten the trip.  And while it was a challenge going so slowly, knowing that somewhere Sue, Jess, and Ben were waiting for us, it was, in reality, one of the best bike rides ever!  Watching Elly rejoice in the smallest of successes and ring her bell while greeting complete strangers along the trail brought a smile to my spirit.  Yelling loudly, "Whoa!  I am going so fast - like Lightening McQueen!" when she was merely puttering along at a slow stroll's pace brought a chuckle from my heart.  Discussing things like mole burrows, the effects of shade on melting snow, and how far a kilometer is delighted my mind.  It really was a special time.

However, today, my butt is sore.  My tushy is tender.  Yet, I would not trade my time of going slower than I ever thought possible on a bike, for a comfortable keister.  It was just too good.

Today, we had a lovely morning at church.  Ken chortled as he commented that I was "popular" this morning...hardly an accurate description, but a pleasant experience of feeling connectedness in this place that is still so new and different to us.  It just so happened I had a few conversations along the way...and picked up a book from my new "coffee" (though not really coffee) friend...and worked on a "date" for a games' with another couple.  Not "popular" by any stretch, but just nice!  This caused me no pain, by the way.

The other event that caused me some pain was a 3 1/2 mile walk with my neighbor and her dog.  I was just sitting down with Zac to work on math - a joy all in itself - when the doorbell rang.  To my pleasant surprise, my neighbor, Ruth, asked if I wanted to go for a walk.  Absolutely!  What a great chance to get outside and get to know my neighbor more.

So, off we went.  Although Ruth and I have spent some time together, we have not really spent this kind of time together before.  By "this kind of time", I mean, the kind of time where you are really "stuck" on your own with someone with no good escape plan if things get uncomfortable.  It's not like I thought of this as we were going...it actually didn't occur to me until just now.  But there are those times with someone you don't know well that you are glad you have an out if you need to (of course, I never feel that way about anyone...but I know some people do).  Today, there was no easy-out, as there was no quick route home in order to bail.  The great thing was...there was no sense of wanting or needing any sort of escape.

Ruth and I chatted the whole 3 1/2 miles of walking.  When there was a pause or quiet moment, it was not awkward.  It just was.  That was a good thing.  I'm not sure I would say that Ruth and I are similar.  In fact, I would more likely say we are very different.  And that's a good thing.  Too many of me's around and no decisions would ever get made and talks would last forever.  At any rate, I enjoyed my walk with Ruth and hope to do it again sometime.  However, now - due to a combination of "fancy socks" and "runners that aren't quite right" - my big toes hurt on both feet.  The odd thing was that I didn't even notice the pain until after we stopped and chatted at the driveway's end.  Once I started walking again, the pain grabbed a hold of the piggy that went to market and made me cry (on the inside) all the way home into the house.

It is ironic to me...I'm not sure if it would be to anyone else...that the thing I would have chosen to do least, caused the least amount of physical pain.  The things that I would have chosen to do most, however, left me with painful piggies and a stinging seat.  Hmmmm...now that's something to think about.

Not tonight, however, as it is time to retire this body in hopes of a good night's sleep.

Which reminds me...two nights ago, two owls woke me in the middle of the night as they hooted back and forth to one another.  While I am not a fan of being wakened from my slumber (I do that on my own enough as it is), I do enjoy the opportunity to experience this nocturnal nature.  Since moving into our house, we have been absolutely delighted by all the visitors that enter our yard or are within view - owls, hawks, eagles, turkeys, a racoon, deer, foxes, rabbits, and a variety of "normal" birds.  I love this and am so incredibly thankful!

And now, off to bed with no witty or succinct conclusion...I'm too tired now for either one of those.  Good Night!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on working throught the taxes and on surviving your breaks!

    PS--If you are thinking you might still need a tax person to look things over, ours in Maine is fantastic--handled our adoption stuff, clergy stuff, Canada-US stuff with no problems and only a $100 fee. I'd be glad to pass along contact info...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kristy - I'm nearly done now...just a few little details and that's it! Crazy!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts, feelings, or your own related experiences. I love that! And, as always, thanks for stopping by!